I love adding dimension to hair. The most common way to do that is by using bleach. Bleach can cause damage. Either by the hairstylist, the client, or both. The most common you hear is the hairstylist. There are times when a hairstylist has over-processed hair. The main reason is that you're dealing with an inexperienced or uneducated hairstylist. Another reason is the stylist and possibly the client are willing to push the limits knowingly to get the hair lighter.
With all that being said, it can also be the client. What you put in your hair matters. The aftercare is very important. If you don't use proper after care, your hair will just get dryer and dryer. I like to use the dentist as an analogy. The only way a deep cleaning at the dentist will benefit you is if you continue to brush and floss daily at home.
Bleach doesn't have to be a dirty word. Use the tips below to maintain healthy hair once you touch it with bleach.
1. Use professional products. Have you ever wondered why shampoo at the drugstore is a lot cheaper than what you buy at the salon? It's because they use cheap ingredients. They're also very diluted so you'll have to use a lot more product. Using professional products provides quality ingredients needed to hyrdate and condition your hair.
2. Use sulfate-free shampoo. This can be a whole blog of its own. To sum up the important part, Sulfates in shampoo start stripping the color out of the hair. Causing it to remove moisture with it.
3. Always use a leave-in conditioner. Bleach is designed to strip color out of the hair exposing natural pigment. Along with this process, it also strips out moisture. After you wash your hair, use a good leave in conditioner. This a great way to put that moisture back into the hair cuticle. Leave-in conditioners also help detangle the hair so you're not pulling it out as you brush.
4. Use heat protector. Most hot tools have numbers on them. Some can get as hot as 450°F. That's pretty darn hot! All of that heat is going directly onto your hair cuticle. Most of ya'll are going over and over the same section. Heat protectant will add a protective layer around the hair cuticle so that it protects it from the heat, but still allows your hair to be styled. I love Davines's MELU Hair Shield. It leaves the hair shiny and silky feeling.
(I have a product review video on my IG page)
5. Use a mask every five washes. Like I mentioned earlier, the bleach can strip moisture so it's very important to put that moisture back.
Follow me on IG for more hair tips including how to properly use these products. @charmedbycrystal 💕